Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month With Food & La Morena - 5 Eyeliners and a Gloss

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month With Food & La Morena

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias


Hispanic Heritage Month is here and as a Mexican-American / Pacific Islander, it is something that is very near to my heart. My mom's home country and the place that gave birth to half of my ancestors runs deeps in mine and my sisters veins always. Ever since I can remember food has played a big part in our lives, most notable the food from both of our cultures. My grandmother in my dad's side always making traditional Chamorro foods and my abuelita always making the most amazing Mexican dishes. We learned early on that Christmas means tamales, menudo and bunuelos, NOT turkey or ham like other families. On the rare days my abuelita took care of us, other kids were taking turkey sandwiches for lunch while we had sopa de fideo in a container, very uncool for sure. My mom is not a great cook, not like my abuelita, she says she is allergic to making anything that takes more than 30 minutes or 5 ingredients, but we have still learned a few things from her. And together with my sisters, all who cook pretty darn well, we make our own recipes based on both of our cultures. I personally am a big pasta lover because pasta is very easy to make and so versatile. Plus pasta is very filling and feels like a real meal to me. When I went to pick a new recipe to cook with La Morena Chipotle Peppers, I immediately decided to put a spin on one of my favorite cold pasta dishes and give it some traditional Mexican flavor. 


You can find La Morena products at a few Hispanic retailers here in Socal but you can also find them at Food 4 Less and Ralph's. I found mine at Food 4 Less and will keep looking because I heard they have some really good beans that Food 4 Less didn't have. You can find more info about La Morena products on FB.


Pasta Fria con Chipotle 

1 cup garden rotini pasta
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 cup black olives
1/2 cup green pitted olives
Queso cotija to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste
3 tablespoons La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce

Prep: Cook rotini for about 15 minutes, adding pinch of salt. Drain pasta and in a big bowl add mayo, olives and a pinch or two of pepper. Last add 3 tablespoons of La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce, I did not add the peppers just the sauce. Serve in a large bowl and add as much Cotija cheese as you like, this cheese is heaven in our house so we add a lot. It's also pretty salty so I only added the smallest pinch of salt to the pasta. 

If you are looking for a lighter version of this pasta you can replace the mayo with either a light version or some olive oil. I very seldom have mayonnaise and don't mind the extra calories now and then. One day I will share a similar version that I make with Mexican sour cream too in case you like a really creamy pasta. 


Yum! I love olives and I love pairing them with cotija cheese and the tangy and spicy flavor of chipotle sauce. I almost added too much chipotle to this batch but added extra cheese to take the edge off. I admit to not eating as spicy as my sisters but they love everything as picoso as possible. 


This Hispanic Heritage Month my sisters and I will be celebrating our culture in many ways, one of the ways will be by cooking our favorite Mexican dishes. When our kids get older they will know what their mixed cultures taste like and they will know where they come from. I am extremely proud to be Mexican and I celebrate this month with my fellow Hispanos/Latinos. 

No comments

We L.O.V.E. Comments :)