This post has been sponsored by Mirum Shopper, however all opinions are my own.
The holiday season is all about family. My family loves to gather around the kitchen table preparing and cooking some of our favorite traditional Mexican dishes, as we listen to Christmas music and watch the kids playing a holiday board game. Those holiday moments, with all of us at home enjoying good food, good platica and making great memories, are the best.
One of those favorite dishes that we always find ourselves making during the holidays is Pozole Rojo. Pozole Rojo is a traditional Mexican stew that can be made with pork or chicken. There are also a few Vegetarian Pozole versions which I have tried that are incredibly delicious. It's a very versatile dish that you can customize easily and that will always hit the spot when you want to give your family a homemade, hearty dish.
One of the secrets to a really delicious and authentic tasting Pozole Rojo is to add Knorr Bouillon.
Taking advantage of the current promotion at Northgate Markets (purchase Knorr Bouillon, get Guerrero Riquísimas flour tortillas for free), I passed by to pick up the fixings for a delicious Pozole Rojo for Christmas Eve dinner.
Since it was a special holiday night, I decided to go for an entire chicken versus taking the shorter route of pre-cooked shredded chicken. That's actually a really easy way to make Pozole Rojo much faster if you happen to be short on time.
Pozole Rojo w/ Chicken (serves 6)
- 1 whole chicken quartered
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 can (15 oz.) hominy, drained and rinsed
- 4 cup water
- 5 tsp Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon
- 3-4 limes
- radish and lettuce for garnish
- 4 chile guajillo
- Put 3 1/2 cups water to boil in large pot. Add 1/2 an onion and garlic cloves. Allow to heat for 2-3 minutes. Before water boils add quartered chicken to water and add 3 tsp Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon. Allow to cook for about 40 minutes.
- In the meantime place into blender: onion, oregano, cumin, 1/4 cup water and blend until smooth.
- Place blender contents into pot along with the hominy and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Serve with sliced lime, chopped onions and radishes.
Visit Northgate Market to take advantage of the Knorr Bouillon and Guerrero promotion. Northgate Market also has everything you need to celebrate New Year's and Three Kings Day.
Also, visit them online to get many holiday recipe ideas, including this one for Pozole Rojo with pork.